Laminate veneers are made from porcelain thinned and strengthened in the form of lamina. It is a type of crown applied without cutting the teeth and by only thinning and the anterior surfaces by 0.3 to 0.7mm, and gluing the material onto the teeth. This is a crowning method highly preferred in dentistry. They are also known as laminate porcelain or laminate teeth. It gives the chance of a confident smile to the individual with its perfect color and texture.
It does not change color and they are rather durable.
To Whom Can Laminate Porcelain Veneers Be Applied to?
- Individuals who are not pleased with the forms of their teeth and wish to make them shaped better,
- Individuals for whom smile design is applied to,
- For spaced teeth,
- Particularly in broken or worn teeth,
- For individuals who are under orthodontic treatment, as the alternative or supplement of the treatment,
- For those with genetically impaired teeth,
- For the correction of crooked, tilted or impaired teeth,
- For teeth that have discolored and turned yellow and no good results can be achieved with bleaching,
- For increasing the height of the tooth.
How is the Care of Laminate Veneers??
- They must be brushed regularly and correctly at least twice a day for 2 minutes,
- Dental floss and mouthwash must be used,
- Hard object must not be bitten by anterior teeth (like cracking nuts with teeth),
- If the patient with laminate veneers has the habit of grinding his/her teeth, she/he must use a sleeping plaque by all means.
- Regular (every 6 months) controls must be carried out by a dentist.
- Patients who have the habit of biting their nails must have laminate veneers before quitting this habit.
What are the Advantages of Laminate Veneers?
- Laminate veneers have better esthetic properties as compared to other veneers. A natural smile can be provided through laminate veneers for cases where the individual cannot smile confidently because of decays, fractures, age-related wear off or structural imperfections.
- They are perfect esthetically. The reason for this is that it permeates and reflects light and is therefore one of the veneers that is the closest to natural teeth. Opening a groove with a width of nail thickness will suffice.
- Natural structures of teeth will not be impaired as teeth will not be reduced much, and the texture of teeth will be preserved in the maximum level.
- It is highly resistant against abrasion.
- There will be no problems as it holds well.
- Porcelain surfaces are very smooth. It minimizes staining in relation with smoking and drinks such as coke or tea and similar reasons and minimizes tartar formation.
- They are made from robust material that will not change color and with high strength.
What are the Disadvantages of Laminate Veneers?
Although they are more esthetic and healthier, their costs are higher as compared to other veneers.